Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sonnet Response

Sonnet 29
When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
   I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf Heaven with my bootless cries,
   And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
   Featur'd like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
   With what I most enjoy contented least:
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
   Haply I think on thee,--and then my state
Like to the lark at break of day arising
   From sullen earth sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
   That then I scorn to change my state with kings'.
                         - William Shakespear 

In this poem, I think that Shakespear is writing about how he compares himself to men who he thinks are better then him. He talks mostly about how he's an outcast from most men because he's not rich and doesn't have a bunch of rich friends. "Featur'd like him, like him with friends possess'd,/ Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope," this line sounds like he is jealous of a man in perticular. It's saying that he is jealous of this man's money, friends, and he thinks he is lacking the good qualities this guy has. 

However, in this sonnet, Shakespear talks about this one thing that brings him out of this jealous state of mind-- his lover. In the last five lines, he talks about how this person brings him to a better place mentally whenever he thinks of them. He uses a metaphor to describe how he changes when he thnks of her: "For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings/ That then I scorn to change my state with kings'". 

From this sonnet, I can tell that William Shakespear is jealous of men for things he lacks, and even though these things make him feel like an outcast, this person he is speaking to makes him feel as if he is a king, and their love brings him so much happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment