Thursday, January 19, 2012

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling Pt. 2

When I first started reading this book by Mindy Kaling, I thought it was going to be one of those cliche advice books that your mom gives to you. But as I continued reading, I think it's more about her journey towards success. Like an autobiography except actually fun to read. I really admire her writing technique.

When I read this book, I find it really easy to hear the authors voice. You really get a sense of Mindy Kaling's personality. She shows a lot of her opinions on things that she's experienced except in general. You know? Like if she got stood up, then she'd have a little section about her talking about being stood up. I find her little outbursts pretty funny!

One other technique she uses that I really like is that it feels like you're actually having a conversation with her. You really learn a lot about her and how to make it in comedy. But she really just sounds like a normal, funny person talking to the reader.

I recommend this book because it's a really fun read and you will find yourself laughing. You can connect and understand the author without even really knowing her... even though it seems like you do.

2 comments:

  1. My older sister just finished this book and she loved it! She said that it's really funny and the author has a very distinct voice. From the way you described it, this sounds like a fun and interactive read. Your post makes me want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this post was very interesting. I liked how your voice shined through and you gave a lot of your opinions along with text evidence.

    ReplyDelete